Saturday 10 January 2009

Failure, Apologies and Filters

This week there will be no new story. This is my first encounter with failure, even though this blog is only amateur in nature and all deadlines and time restrictions are self imposed, I have failed to deliver what I promise in the blog's tag line "One story, once a week..." and I find myself extremely depressed about it. Like it says at the top of the page, I am attempting to learn to write to a professional standard and one very important thing professional writers need to learn is keeping to a deadline. In this, I failed utterly and while the number of people who read this blog is small I feel that I've let them and myself down. I can only apologise to anyone who has ever actually read something I've posted at fifty-two-stories-lite, and if anyone was actually looking forward to seeing the new one, please know that my sense of crushing disappointment is far greater than you can imagine.

I don't have any excuses or mitigating circumstances for my failure, merely a simple reason... Writer's Block, a horrible condition I've never encountered before this week. I won't bore anyone with whiny, self indulgent wittering on the subject. If you don't write, then chances are you don't care. If you do write, then there's a good chance you've experienced it yourself and don't want to read someone else reliving your misery; if you haven't encountered it yet (god willing you never will) then I'll stay silent in case it's contagious or something. Suffice to say, to someone inclined to story telling a blank document or piece of paper should inspire a feeling of freedom, not frustration. This is all I'll say on the matter lest I drift into the afore mentioned whiny, self indulgence.

On a brighter note, this week I did still manage to learn something important about writing thanks to Ugly Angie. I found out that what you have in mind when you create something, isn't necessarily what other people will take from it... Her poem "Winter Has Found Me", which she has been kind enough to leave in the comments section of this post, inspired me greatly. I saw a hopeful poem, with echoes of rebirth and the inevitability of the future. The timing of the original posting of the poem (3rd of January 2009) played into my trepidation about the new year ahead of me and what it may bring. I read a message about the relentless march of time, and that however much you may wish to hide in things past, the future will carry you forward regardless. Angie is pretty sure she wrote a poem about getting tired of it being so darned cold all the time.

As the progenitor of the poem in question, Angie is of course utterly correct in what she asserts about the meaning of "Winter Has Found Me"... However in the privacy of my own head, I know that I am more correct about what the poem means. Is this because I have some deep insight into the inner workings of her creative being? Absolutely not! It's because I read something, filtered it through my own subjective experience and feelings and took what I needed to hear at the time from the poem. I suppose that once you put something out there, it takes on a life of it's own. It's no longer just the thing you created, it also becomes what that thing meant to those who encountered it.

In twenty years time Angie may read the poem again and think "Man, that was one cold freakin' month!", but she may also remember that a bloke she's never met, who lives thousands of miles away read it and decided to face 2009 with a touch more courage. I think that this what we all aim for when we create something be it a poem, a short story, a painting or a sculpture made of broken shopping trolleys. That someone heard our voice and was changed a little bit for that, hopefully for the better.

2 comments:

Ugly Angie said...

Hey---man, you are being really hard on yourself. But, you know what? I have been there and done that too. Let's see there was this novel of mine which was supposed to be "my ticket". Thing was, I couldn't finish it. I still have it. It has been rewritten--partially---about 7 times. Around the 7th time I started to realize that I really didn't like sitting at my damn computer after sitting at my damn computer all day at work. That's when I took a break and tried something else. The novel will turn 7 or 8 this May. I have tried everything: writing 5 pages a day, 10 pages a weekend, two a day, one page during my lunch break and on and on and on. I carried it around and felt like shit cuz I couldn't finish it. Writing shouldn't make you feel like shit. I think for me it was a mix of two things: I wasn't disciplined enough to commit to the same amount of uninterrupted writing time everyday and two, deep down inside, I didn't like the actual writing...What that means for me...someone who spent a hell of a lot of money and time in school to get an MFA in Creative Writing...I don't know...finally getting to the point where I don't care...so go for it...keep writing, but don't be so brutal to yourself...

Daniel Brown said...

Thanks for the support Angie, it means a lot. I honestly don't think I've been particularly hard on myself, I could have thrown up my hands in pique and refused to carry on; I could have deleted the blog and pretended that it never happened... "fifty two what now? Never heard of it!" but that isn't in my nature. I'm certainly not down on myself for perceived ability, I have the thick skin and cast iron ego common to all writers, I'm just very miffed indeed that I couldn't bully myself into writing while my muse had taken a sabbatical. This probably has something to do with the fact that I view creative writing as a matter of tradesmanship as well as art, and I found myself getting riled that I couldn't "tick over" while I waited for the creative juices to start flowing again. It's just one more thing I have to add to my tool box, I suppose.

The way I see it, even failure is a learning experience. You may feel you "failed" with your novel, but maybe it was just a case of learning what doesn't work for you. Like you said in one of your posts a little while ago, you finally finished something and it sure didn't sound like a novel, judging from your enigmatic hints about the content; maybe prose isn't where you're meant to live... It certainly hasn't harmed the creativity of people like Robert Crumb, Harvey Pekar or Alan Moore.

Maybe the thing I can take from this experience is that I need a fallback project... Start a novel myself as a back burner thing, maybe publish extracts when I find myself unable to come up with an idea for a short work, who knows. One thing is for sure, I may be down but I'm one hell of a long way from out.