Monday 5 January 2009

Written With A Sense Of Mounting Terror...

First off I would like to draw your attention to this poem, here, which I enjoyed a great deal and think sums up the conflicting feelings towards the start of a new year far more elegantly and succinctly than I ever could. It can be difficult some times to let go of the past and become the version of you that will have to do the exact same thing next year. While we're all still thinking in terms of what's past (passed) and what's still to come, this is a perfect time to read (and say thank you for) UGLY ANGIE's interpretation of this time.

(I am not a well educated man, it is entirely possible that I have misread the poem completely. If that is so I can only apologise and bow my head in readiness for the string of mocking comments that I surely deserve.)

Secondly, and on a more personal note, for the first time since beginning this adventure I have absolutely nothing written as my countdown timer passes fifty percent complete. Nothing, zilch, zip, nada, nowt', not a sausage. I don't even have an idea for what my next story will be about, let alone where to begin telling it. Fear is my constant companion. In fairness Fear and I often walk together while he taunts me with imaginings of spiders, clowns, zombies or Cilla Black, but this time he never leaves my side, bringing not just his usual motley crew of bizarre phobias but also a new one to someone who is almost defined by a lack of ambition, Fear Of Failure.

I am sadness.

*Those of you who think I'm going for a laugh at the inclusion of Cilla Black on my list of phobias, rest assured that I am not. I find the woman profoundly terrifying, for no reason that I can explain. You have no idea how difficult it was for me to place that link for anyone who doesn't know who she is.

-EDIT-
Angie deletes her posts every weekend, so those of you wishing to read the poem "Winter Has Found Me" will find a broken link. However Angie has been kind enough to leave the poem written in the comments section of this post. Click the comments button and enjoy. Thank you Angie.

3 comments:

Ugly Angie said...

Wow---Thank you so much for the kind words and the link! Well, I think a poem is a gift from the writer to whomever wants it...kind of like a donation to the Goodwill. Whatever the heck you get out of it, that is the correct one! I wrote it as a way to express how freezing cold I am, I am tired of these temperatures...Thanks and have a great weekend!

Ugly Angie said...

So I am deleted my posts at the end of the week...so now your link is invalid...but here is the poem. I am just tinkled pink that you wanted to have it on your blog. Here you go:

Winter Has Found Me
I hid in the ravine
so Winter couldn't find me.

She circled above looking.
The cold wind from her wings ruffled my hair, chilling me.

She was very close.

Curled against one of Earth's root-covered walls, I fought to
stay warm. My arms,
a bald blanket.

But Winter has found me,
her talons dig into my shoulders, extracting me from Spring's womb.

Naked, I dangle from her claws as she soars through
the cold gray January sky.

Daniel Brown said...

Thank you Angie. It's so kind of you to leave your work here. I really appreciate it.