Wednesday 28 January 2009

Hiatus Update(us)

Remember how I said I would be back after fourteen days? Well, that's true in a limited fashion. My landlords have decided that the cold, wet, windy month of January is just the best possible time to do complicated and difficult renovations to the place we're living in right now and work starts tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of living in a place with fancy twenty-first century innovations like working radiators and multiple power outlets in a room, after all the thought of living in a warm house where I don't risk electrocution on a daily basis, by plugging multi-socket bar adapters full of nine volt ac/dc transformers into three outlet plug in socket extenders is a happy one. Believe me, I'm all about the warmth and the removal of risking death by frying. It's just that, well not to sound ungrateful or whiny or anything but... January!? The coldest month of the year? Several days without heating and only intermittent electrical power isn't something I'll be enjoying. At least when it's done we'll have warmth, safety and a new kitchen, which pleases my wife immensely. I've pointed out that we tend to live on sandwiches, cereal and take-away food, making the new kitchen sort of redundant. Apparently this is Not The Point. Silly me...

Anyway, I won't have access to my desktop PC and net connectivity may be intermittent, hence the removal of the countdown timer. Thanks to my wife's laptop I'll still be able to write and if one of my neighbours is a bit obvious with their wireless network password I may even be able to post something, who knows. (I hereby solemnly swear not to download anything, legally or otherwise until my own connection is fully restored. Bye-bye bit-torrent, I'll miss you.) It might be a script for a comic-book about a very English superhero, or it might be something else I haven't started writing yet; I'm trying to keep multiple projects in the air, that way if I end up with another case of writer's block I can just write something else instead. Forward planning? I has it...

Also a very belated hello to Peter. I've been so wrapped up in my own problems lately that I never even noticed a new person listening to my wittering, waffling, writerly whining and doubtless other alliterations.

You'll be hearing from me again, with accompanying work, soon and I'll put myself back on that horrifying one story, once a week deadline when I'm able to put the blog fully live once more. (At the moment it's neither alive nor dead. I have a zombie blog, which is AWESOME!)

Dan.

No comments: