Saturday 3 January 2009

New Year, New Carpet Slippers, Same Problems...

Not with the carpet slippers, they're very comfy thank you. With the writing I mean. I manage to find everything very distracting when I'm trying to write... have you ever seen a cat very busy doing it's own thing, suddenly become mesmerised with a trailing shoelace? It tries to control itself but... the lace is moving... and twitching... and the last lace wasn't edible/available for mating/any kind of threat... but this one might be... and suddenly it's off. The cat pounces on the lace and refuses to stop playing with it, the shoelace is the most fascinating thing in all of creation.

This happens to me all the time when I sit down to write. When I'm not writing all I can think about is the story currently on my mind. As soon as I'm at the computer everything becomes a vital task that must be done Right Now! Want me to wash the dishes? Empty the waste bins? Take a duster to that place behind the television it's too awkward to reach ordinarily? Attempt to create an economically viable alternative to capitalism? Just sit me in front of OpenOffice and watch me go...

New Year was pretty quiet all told, but very enjoyable nonetheless. Now that the holidays are truly over, I can get back to writing properly.

1 comment:

Ugly Angie said...

This has been my problem my whole "writing life"...at least since I became a home-owner. When I lived in a dorm or shared an apartment with 5 other girls---not a whole lot of chores to do. Chores can kill writing...