Wednesday 31 December 2008

Holidayed Out...

It's been almost a week since my last post, and I have to admit I've missed waffling on about whatever happens to be on my mind at the time. The holidays are as good as over and I can get back to proper writing rather than showy-offy things like Drabbles. (Although I have admit to being proud of the one I did.)

The surprising thing is how quickly the writing muscles can atrophy. Ten days of rest, excepting for a few hours shaving and tweaking The Pathologist to exactly the right length have left me feeling curiously... un-writerly. Ideas have been at a premium after enjoying my Christmas pressies. The complete Firefly boxset, The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, Nation by Terry Pratchett, Nu Of The Neocene by Edgar Rice Burroughs and some comfy, comfy slippers combined with the Doctor Who Christmas special, a new Wallace & Gromit adventure, the brilliant Crooked House on BBC Four and twice my own body weight in turkey and stuffing, sweets, buffets at various family get togethers and a lack of sleep have meant that I've been feeling justifiably woolly minded.

However, my nose is back to the grindstone and I've nearly finished the new story provisionally titled "In The Long Hot Summer", it will be interesting to see if there's a noticeable drop in quality when I'm not feeling at my sharpest mentally.

In case I don't get time to post anything tomorrow, Happy New Year to everyone and all the best for you and yours in 2009!

No comments: