Wednesday 3 December 2008

New Story: No. 1 of 52 - Cabinet Pussy-cat

Good morning to anyone mad enough up at this ungodly hour (10:26 a.m. as I write this), this is the first story I'm putting out there for the public to download, read and distribute. I'll admit to cheating slightly, in that the first draft of this story was written two years ago, however it wasn't very good at all in it's original form so I spent last night doing extensive re-writes before making it available.

A little bit of legal stuff now, the story is being made available under a Creative Commons licence, namely this one:-
Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.

It's about as restrictive as a Creative Commons licence gets, but as I've previously stated I have no problem with the idea of derivative works per se, in fact I would be deeply and sincerely flattered should anyone ever feel the urge to create something new based on anything I've created, I simply want to reserve the rights to the characters in case I ever feel the urge to go back and tell more of a particular story, or expand on the life of a particular character. Besides, does a song, or a poem, or a piece of music inspired by something or a translation to a new language not spoken by the original creator detract from the original work in any way? I've personally never believed that it does. Especially considering the forms mentioned above are for the most part alien to me. Not so much poetry, but my poetry would be alien to anyone who loves the english language.

Oh by the way, I originally stated that I would be publishing under a pseudonym, because I share my birth name with the best selling author of the Da Vinci Code (Is that book any good? I've never read it because having a novel lying around the house with my name on the by line, felt sort of... weird. Like basking in reflected glory, so to speak.), but have since decided that my full name is sufficiently different from his chosen version of our joint moniker. It's not like I'll be in W.H. Smith's anytime soon! Anyway enough with the wittering, here's the sharing URL...
Cabinet Pussy-cat.pdf


I hope anyone who reads it enjoys it! If there are any obvious mistakes or typos in the text then leave a comment and Ill try to fix it in future re-posts.

No comments: